What happens in the Hand Function Laboratory?
In the Hand Function Laboratory, the child's fine motor and graphomotor skills are analysed using a special computer-aided investigation concept and other clinical hand function test methods.
The examinations allow even very subtle changes that might indicate motor disorders to be measured and documented. This can then tell the therapist what direction the required treatment should take.
What investigative methods do we use?
- Measurement of elementary finger and hand movements
- Measurement of writing movements (frequency, automation, pressure)
- Measurement of gripping forces and application of force
- Measurement of movements (frequency, precision, tremor)
- Checking manual dexterity and action planning (Pegboard Test)
What are the reasons for carrying out hand function diagnosis?
- Motion disorders with restriction of the finger and hand functions
- "Clumsiness", difficulties in the use of objects, "dyspraxia“
- Difficulties with hand-eye coordination
- Slowness of manual activities
- Pains of unknown cause in the fingers and hands
- Writing disorders/problems (e.g. pains, slowness, illegibility)
- Unclear handedness
What therapy is offered additionally in the Hand Function Laboratory?
Motor writing training
On the basis of the examination carried out in the Hand Function Laboratory, motor writing training can be carried out in the event of graphomotor problems. This form of therapy is suitable for children aged roughly six and above in the case of coordination disorders in the fingers and hand expressed through pains in the hand or arm when writing, a slower writing speed or illegible handwriting.
The therapy is carried out on an outpatient basis or in the clinic as a block therapy. The length of treatment is currently 10 units of 45 minutes each.
What has been learnt in the therapy sessions needs to be integrated into everyday life and thus trained through frequent, variable repetition.
A combination with other therapeutic measures (ergotherapy, physiotherapy or sEMG biofeedback training) may be necessary.
Wie kann ich mich anmelden?
Telefon | 089 71009-0
E-Mail | handmotorik-kinderzentrum(at)kbo.de